Since the end of December 2019, there have been numerous cases of acute respiratory diseases due to the spread of the dangerous coronavirus, also known as Wuham virus or Chinese virus. Most cases have been filed in China, but cases have already started to appear in other countries.
The corona virus occurs as a common cold, but its consequences may be worse; so it is important to take the necessary measures to avoid its spread and safeguard our health.
What is coronavirus?
This terrible microorganism, also known as the Wuham virus, belongs to an extensive family of viruses, including the common cold, the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) that hit China in 2002, and the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). . It can affect humans and various species of animals and has a mortality rate of 3.1% of cases.
How are coronavirus infections transmitted?
Due to the novelty of this disease, the propagation mechanisms have not yet been established with any certainty. However, scientists agree that the most likely form of contagion is through the small droplets of saliva that spread through the air when a virus carrier coughs.
To everyone’s relief, they appear to have a limited range of contagion; since the known cases have occurred between people with close physical contacts, such as family members and health personnel who care for patients.
How to prevent the spread of the coronavirus?
The main measures against the spread of coronavirus recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO) are
- Avoid contact with people who present the mentioned symptoms.
- Avoid contact with live or dead farm animals or wild animals, as well as consuming meat and eggs that have not been fully cooked.
- Wash hands frequently.
- The use of face masks is ideal.
- Practice cough etiquette: Keep your distance and cover yourself by coughing or sneezing with disposable tissues or wearing disposable masks.
- Avoid as much as possible to travel to the affected areas, especially to the city of Wuhan, in China.
- It is important to protect against the cold and keep the rooms ventilated. It is also advisable to avoid crowded places as much as possible.
Are they the symptoms of coronavirus sufferers?
The symptoms of this disease closely resemble those of the common cold or flu. The most frequent symptoms are:
- Runny nose.
- Sore throat.
- General discomfort.
If you notice any of these symptoms, you should immediately go to a doctor to try to rule out the presence of the virus and take treatment measures if it is positive.